From Nancy Gaifyllia, former About.com Guide
Braised Eggplant with Potatoes
In this dish, the eggplant are dredged in flour and browned before adding to the pot, giving the dish a lovely mix of textures and tastes. These are the classic Greek tastes: eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, herbs, and olive oil.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 65 minutes
* 1 pound of eggplant, cut in egg-sized chunks (skin on)
* 2 pounds of potatoes, peeled, cut in chunks
* 3 medium onions, chopped
* 1 bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
* 1 1/2 pounds of fresh tomatoes, pulped (or 2 3/4 cups of pulped stewed tomatoes)
* 1/2 cup of olive oil
* 1 1/4 cups of water + 1/4 cup of water
* 1/2 teaspoon of salt (for sauce)
* 1/2 teaspoon of salt (for vegetables)
* 4 tablespoons of olive oil
* 4 tablespoons of flour
To start: Soak eggplant pieces in water for 30 minutes.
Make the sauce: In a stew pot, combine tomatoes, parsley, onion, 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1 1/4 cups of water, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over medium-high heat for 15 minutes. Stir in potatoes and 1/4 cup of water, cover, and cook until the potatoes are done, about 20 minutes.
Fry the eggplant: While the sauce is cooking, drain the eggplant and season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan over high heat. Dredge the pieces of eggplant in flour and fry until golden brown on all sides. Place fried pieces in a strainer so excess oil will drain off.
Add eggplant to the potatoes and sauce, cover and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and leave the pot on the stove until ready to serve or store.
Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
Edited by TZAKI, 07 September 2010 - 12:23 PM.